Sunday, January 4, 2015

christmas letter

Here's our Christmas letter this year:
December 2014
Season’s Greetings!

This has been a monumental year for the Williams family as we have doubled our size and halved our amount of sleep. Let’s get straight to the headliner of this year’s Christmas letter: Our handsome twin boys Luke and Sam were born October 12, 2014.  We found out I was pregnant in February, and I know I had teased Shad at least a couple times with, “What if it’s twins?” of course not expecting that to be the case. However, our joking turned to shocked silence when the ultrasound screen revealed two little dancing baby blobs instead of just one.  My, how our lives have changed since our last Christmas letter!

Our year started off normally enough. Shad’s parents visited in January, and we made our annual Sundance Film Festival excursion to Park City to watch movies that always turn out way weirder than the trailer would indicate.  This was a breakout year for winter sports with me skiing my first ever black diamonds at Alta, and Shad trying to go snowboarding as many times as possible—a record 56 days.  My family came to visit over spring break, and we enjoyed exploring Arches and Canyonlands National Parks in Moab, Utah.

This May, we had the opportunity to visit Kauai with some of our good friends from residency. It was a wonderful week of beach napping, surfing, kayaking, and exploring the island.

Then in June, we took a road trip to Oregon to visit our old stomping grounds—our final vacation as a family of two humans and two greyhounds.  We spent the week hiking, camping, and visiting all our favorite places. Henry was so excited to see the ocean again, run on the beach, and sleep cuddled next to me in a tent all week. I had a greyhound or two literally inside my sleeping bag on more than one occasion.

Shad did his best to maximize his last summer before parental responsibilities, going on a number of climbing outings and summiting Mt. Olympus and Mt. Adams in Washington and Grand Teton in Wyoming. I traveled to Tennessee in August for my sister Emily’s wedding to JD Henderson. I spent the week helping her and Mom prepare, and the wedding was beautiful. They then moved to Morristown, TN, where Emily is teaching high school Spanish and JD is in nursing school.

I started my third and final year of residency this summer—in the midst of morning sickness! Residency has been a long road, and I’m looking forward to finishing. I’ve been hired as a general pediatrician at Hillcrest Pediatrics, and I’ll start next fall. My clinic is in the outpatient building of the hospital where Shad works, so it will be nice to be able to have lunch together. I’m going to be working part time, and the majority of my patients will be Spanish speaking, so it seems like the perfect fit for me. Shad is still enjoying his job and is glad to have a few years experience under his belt.

Through my pregnancy, I learned that I was not one of those women who liked being pregnant—I never found my inner maternal goddess. It probably didn’t help that I gained 68 pounds by the end. Things were going well overall until 30 weeks when my blood pressure was too high at a routine clinic visit. I ended up admitted to the hospital three times before delivering the babies six weeks early. On the fateful night (while Shad was out climbing and conveniently had a dead cell phone battery), my blood pressure spiked to 180/120, I started seeing spots, and then eight hours and a c-section later, Shad and I were parents (yes, Shad made it to the hospital in time). Thankfully, everything went well, and the boys were small but healthy. They spent ten days working on feeding and gaining weight in the intermediate nursery, and then they came home where they’ve been doing great. They passed their due date a few weeks ago and are gaining weight like champions.

Life has definitely been different these past eight weeks. I have twelve weeks off of work (I go back mid-January), and Shad’s schedule has been generously light as well. My mom has moved here for a year to help out with the boys as I finish residency. Shad and I are so grateful for her help and cannot imagine how we’d be surviving without her. She’s pretty thankful for the chance to hang out with her first grandsons as well. The three of us have been splitting up the night into shifts as these boys think nighttime is a great to party; hopefully, we’ll soon convince them of the benefits of partying in the daytime instead. We’re all a little bit sleep deprived but are happy with how well the boys are doing.

Both sets of new grandparents were able to come visit soon after the boys were born, again at Thanksgiving, and will be here for Christmas. I’m especially excited for Christmas, when all my siblings will be here as well, which is an occurrence that doesn’t happen often. Shad and I are grateful for everyone’s willingness to travel, and we are looking forward to celebrating the boys’ first Christmas with the entire family!

We hope this letter finds you and your family well. May your Christmas and New Years be filled with grace and peace.

With love from,
Shad, Laura, Luke & Sam Williams




No comments:

Post a Comment