Wednesday, October 15, 2014

babies!

It's Wednesday now and I can't believe how long ago it was Sunday night. It seems like way more than several days and a lot has changed since then; I'm now a mom and Shad is a dad!

Sunday I wasn't feeling very well overall. I spent most of the day in bed watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix. I'd been having intermittent headache for almost a week by then. It would go away with tylenol and/or caffeine, but it still seemed odd that I'd had a headache for so long. My neck was also pretty sore; I think because of the strain on my back due to all the baby weight. So I blamed my headache on my sore neck muscles.

My pressures throughout the day had been typical 140s-150s/90s-100s. It was around dinnertime and my headache wasn't particularly bad, but I started noticing black spots in my peripheral vision. I've had these spots before when I stood up too fast, but these were present while lying down. So I checked my BP and got a whopping 180/120. My cuff tends to read a little high, but definitely never this high before, so mom and I packed up our stuff and headed in to the hospital. Shad had been out climbing with some friends and quickly made his way to the hospital as well.

This admission was definitely more face paced than the previous ones. I was only in OB emergency services for about 30 min before they had me admitted to L&D. My pressures were still high at the hospital and I had lots of protein in my urine and with my headache/visual changes, I'd officially progressed to pre-eclampsia with severe features. The OB resident confirmed that it was now time for the babies to make their appearance.

I opted for a c-section because they were putting me on magnesium which helps to prevent me from having seizures but in return it makes me feel terrible and makes the babies floppy with poor respiratory effort when they come out. Given they were already going to be coming early at 34 weeks 3 days, I didn't want them to soak in magnesium for 24-36 hours after induction while I was laboring. The OBs assured me it would have been safe to try for a vaginal delivery, but I felt more comfortable moving ahead with c-section, so that's what happened.

Thankfully, 3 of my good friends were able to be there in L&D and hang out with us while we were waiting for the c-section. I was really appreciative because I was pretty nervous about the operation. I've seen hundreds of c-sections from the view of the pediatrician and I wasn't too excited about being the one on the table. But having Shad, my mom, and friends there passed the time quickly and without lots of downtime to worry.

The actual operation went ok; it wasn't fun, but it was quick and I was rewarded with hearing loud cries from both of them right away. They did great! Here's their stats and some pictures. I'll post more later on about the following days. But Shad and I are now officially parents to two beautiful healthy little boys!

Baby A: Luke Shadrach Williams
01:13 on 10/12/14
apgars 7/9
weighed 5 lb 6 oz
length 19.3 inches
head circumference 13 inches

Baby B: Samuel Douglas Williams
01:14 on 10/12/14
apgars 8/9
weighed 4 lb 12 oz
length 47 cm
head circumference 31.5


Waiting for the C-section. Magnesium makes you feel hot and flushed, thus the red face and wet washcloth.

Margie, Nora, and Laura all came to hang out.

So glad to have my Mom there!

Luke (Baby A) makes his appearance at 01:13!

Sam (Baby B) follows soon after at 01:14!

First family photo

Proud daddy wheeling his boys to the nursery.

Mom becomes a grandma!
Sam and Luke

Cuddling my boys
Luke and Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment